The Database Engineer will create standards for the design, development, and delivery of reliable, optimized, scalable database solutions leveraging Microsoft SQL server. Database design, architecture, and documentation will be key deliverables of individuals in this role. The individual with this role should have a high degree of expertise with Microsoft Windows operating systems and server class hardware.
Daily operational activities will include analyzing performance metrics at all layers of the database infrastructure in order to identify opportunities for improvement. Stored procedures and database queries will be reviewed regularly in order to find areas for optimization and performance tuning. Measuring database maintenance plan schedules, tuning and configurations against system performance requirements will remain a key daily operational duty.
Database backup and recovery technologies, backup to disk, backup to tape, database replication, log shipping, clustering, database mirroring, and data restoration are major responsibilities of the person with this role. Managing fault tolerance, high availability, and disaster recovery solutions are also critical deliverables.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Create and document database infrastructure standards and deployment documentation.
- Build and optimize hardware for database workloads.
- Analyze database infrastructure requirements and design solutions.
- Deploy database infrastructure solutions.
- Perform proactive database performance monitoring, analysis, alerting, reporting, and tuning.
- Implement and manage scheduled database maintenance plans.
- Publish database infrastructure performance dashboards.
- Perform proactive database capacity analysis, planning, and reporting.
- Manage, maintain, and optimize database backup and recovery jobs.
- Deliver customer storage consumption reports.
- Participate in and support customer upgrades, including scripting, job maintenance, backup/recovery, and database migrations.
- Perform regular data recovery tests.
- Participate in Disaster Recovery tests.
- Participate in database server hardware refreshes, OS refreshes, SQL version upgrades and database migrations.
- Implement, manage, and maintain SQL performance monitoring solutions.
- Identify and configure thresholds, alerting, and capacity based monitors.
- Perform BillQuick maintenance.
- Perform Windows systems administration.
- Participate in the on-call process.
- Uphold company policies and procedures.
- Perform additional related responsibilities as requested.
Bachelor’s Degree in Information Services or a related field and/or 5-7 years of relevant experience. Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer Data Platform (SQL 2012) is a plus.
5-7 years of experience with I.T. systems.
- Microsoft Windows operating systems.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2014 or Higher
- Maintenance plans
- T-SQL proficiency
- Disaster Recovery
- Performance tuning
- Query optimization and tuning
- Microsoft Powershell.
- Server hardware.
- Storage performance analysis, (RAID, SAN, Partitioning).
- Microsoft SQL performance analysis tools.
- A positive background check may be required.
Office environment. Must be able to unpack, move and install computer equipment. May require lifting up to 25 lbs. Must be available to cover on-call schedule. Occasional local travel is required.
Please submit your resume to: email@example.com.