The Database Engineer will create standards for the design, development, and delivery of reliable, optimized, scalable database solutions leveraging Microsoft SQL Server. Database design, architecture, and documentation will be key deliverables of individuals in this role. A high degree of expertise with Microsoft Windows operating systems and server class hardware is essential.
Daily operational activities will include analyzing performance metrics at all layers of the database infrastructure in order to identify opportunities for improvement. The Database Services code base will be reviewed regularly to find areas for further automation, optimization, and performance tuning. Measuring database maintenance plan schedules, tuning and configurations against system performance requirements will remain a key daily operational duty.
Database backup and recovery technologies, database replication, log shipping, and data restoration are major responsibilities of the person with this role. Managing fault tolerance, high availability, and disaster recovery solutions are also critical deliverables.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participate in collaborative design discussions as part of translating business or technical requirements into working solutions
- Frequent coordination with IT, Product, Security and other business teams
- Create modern, testable, and maintainable code
- Contribute to estimation of team-level work items
- Provide timely status on project work and keep tasks updated with completed hours and hours remaining
- Participate in after-hours maintenance and support as applicable
- Create and maintain database infrastructure standards and deployment documentation
- Recommend best practices regarding data management, data architecture, and data design
- Design, develop and deploy database infrastructure solutions including:
- Proactive database performance and capacity analysis, planning, and reporting
- Optimizing hardware for database workloads o Implementing scheduled database maintenance plans
- Developing and optimizing database replication, backup, and recovery
- Perform regular data recovery tests
- Participate in Disaster Recovery tests
- Participate in and support customer upgrades, including scripting, job maintenance, backup/recovery, and database migrations
- Participate in database server hardware refreshes, OS refreshes, SQL version upgrades and database migrations
- Publish reports and dashboards for database infrastructure performance and customer storage consumption
- Identify and configure thresholds for capacity-based monitoring and alerting
- Help to foster a culture of innovation, teamwork, and open communication
- Assist the team in creating solutions that are easily deployed and with high-qualityUphold company policies and procedures
- Perform additional related responsibilities as requested
Bachelor’s Degree in Information Services or a related field and/or 5-7 years of relevant experience. Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer Data Platform (SQL 2014 or higher) or an equivalent role-based Microsoft certification is a plus.
- 5-7 years of experience with database administration
- Microsoft SQL Server 2014 or higher
- Microsoft Windows Server 2016 or higher
- Passion for collaborative innovation and continuous learning
- Proven experience/proficiency in T-SQL
- Experience with Microsoft PowerShell
- Understanding of DevSecOps principles
- Understanding of basic agile software development practices
- Excellent organizational, planning, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- Strong interpersonal skills including verbal, written, and listening skills
Office environment. Must be able to unpack, move and install computer equipment. May require lifting up to 25 lbs. Must be available to cover on-call schedule. Occasional local travel is required.
Please submit your resume to: email@example.com.